What is Transparent Language Online?
A self-paced, online language-learning system with extensive courses and supplemental resources for over 100 languages!
- Over 100 different languages, with 1,500 to 2,000 words and phrases for every language
- ESL (English learning) for speakers of 25+ languages, including intermediate-level immersion courses
- A flexible learning structure, including supplemental learning material and dozens of learning activities designed to engage your brain for rapid learning and maximum retention
- Access to the full site on any PC, Mac, or tablet
- Learning on the go via the Transparent Language app for iPhone® and AndroidTM devices
- Culture and social connections for a full learning experience
- KidsSpeak™ is available for many of the languages
- First time users click “sign up” to create a free account
- Browse and select your language and additional options to begin
- Screen prompts will walk you through the learning process
More information about performing a password reset can be found here.
What languages can I learn?
Visit the Transparent Language website for a full list of languages you can learn and the language courses in which you can learn English as a Second Language.
Yes! Check out Kidspeak™, created specially for kids aged six and up.
While the available material in each language varies, all languages generally include enough material to reach the Novice High (Advanced Beginner) level on the ACTFL scale. Many languages include material that will be very useful to a learner in reaching the Intermediate Mid level. In major languages, material that is designed to support learners into the Intermediate High and Advanced levels is provided.
Transparent Language Online includes a variety of culture resources including:
- Culture videos
- Vocabulary culture comments
- Authentic conversation videos (shot in country)
- Cultural activities in major language courses
Language and culture are connected in the course content development approach, whereby we choose and phrase all items in a culturally appropriate way. Culture is intertwined into the learning process in the form of comments/hints on vocabulary materials. An "About" reference file can also be found in each language, giving the user a background in the language they are learning.
Yes, native speaker pronunciation is included throughout the program for all words and phrases. Every word and phrase in the program are recorded at natural speed by a native speaker, which learners can listen to as often as they like. Our SlowSound feature lets the learner slow the pronunciation to hear the nuances of the native speaker's pronunciation.
Yes, the speech activities in Transparent Language Online are powered by our EveryVoice™ technology. EveryVoice is a technology that analyzes and matches learner utterances to native speaker utterances with accuracy in any language. It allows for a variety of speech-enabled interactions, which builds speaker confidence and ability
KidSpeak™ is a fun, age-appropriate online language course designed for children ages 6 and up! Accessible through Transparent Language Online, KidSpeak™ introduces your children to English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Mandarin Chinese. The program teaches words and phrases suitable for learners’ age, needs, and interests. More than 40 activities, puzzles, and songs guide young learners through the basics, along with a cartoon “friend” who speaks the language. KidSpeak™ works on computers, tablets, and phones - so your little ones can learn on the go, at home, or in the library.
Assistance from Transparent Language Online