2019 - 2023 Strategic Plan
Links to the Strategic Plan and current action plan are located below:
2019 - 2023 Strategic Plan
Our Vision, Mission, Purpose and Values have recently (2021) been updated:
Everyone has the right to access the resources and services they need to learn, express themselves creatively, and reach their full potential.
The Public Library will be an inclusive, safe and welcoming community hub built around trust, understanding and collaboration to meet the community’s needs.
We are facilitators for the needs of our community. We partner with our community and strive to meet everyone’s needs for research, creativity, entertainment and support services.
- Inspired by our Community. Our job is to equip community members with the tools they need to learn, create and grow. The enlightenment of our members inspires us.
- Welcoming. Everyone who walks through our doors deserves our respect. We are the living room of the community and everyone is welcome here.
- Inclusive. When we say everyone, we mean everyone. Our community is beautifully diverse and access to knowledge is universal.
- Helpful. As our services grow, we will do everything we can to connect people with the tools and support they require to achieve their goals.
- Sharers of Knowledge. We love to teach something new, just as much as we love learning something new. We share our knowledge and learn from our community.
New Strategic Plan Announced
TBPL is pleased and proud to announce the Thunder Bay Public Library (TBPL) Strategic Plan for 2019 - 2023. We are pleased because it sets a very clear and exciting direction for TBPL over the next five years; and we are proud because we listened to the voice of the people and you have given us a very clear mandate.
The community intelligence for this plan was gathered by holding community conversations across the city with a wide range of individuals and organizations. Every sector and demographic was engaged in this process, including arts / heritage, business, criminal justice, community, faith, Indigenous, health / awareness, seniors, social service, women and youth. The aim of these conversations was to identify community aspirations and concerns so that TBPL can be both community led and needs based.
Community intelligence was also gathered via an online community survey that asked two key questions: What would make your life better in Thunder Bay? and If there was a community space in Thunder Bay filled with things to meet the goal of making your life better, what would those things be?
The Community Action Panel, Youth Advisory Council, Indigenous Advisory Council, TBPL Staff and Community Consultations were used to validate and prioritize the primary themes which emerged from the community conversations and survey. Five key strategic directions emerged from this process:
• Foster a Safe, Clean and Healthy Community
• Challenge Institutional and Systemic Racism
• Cultivate Diversity and Inclusion
• Mitigate the Impact of Homelessness and Poverty
• Encourage Youth Participation
For full details on our 2019 - 2023 Strategic Plan, please access it here.
We look forward to working with you over the next five years to develop a community led and needs based library service which can identify, prioritize and meet community needs. We want to actively engage and involve you in the planning, design, delivery, and evaluation of library services. TBPL has an exciting and bright future. We want you to be a part of it. So join us today!
2014-2018 Strategic Plan