What is Kanopy?
Kanopy is a video streaming service that provides instant access to thousands of critically acclaimed movies, documentaries and Kid favorites. It partners with studios like A24, The Criterion Collection, PBS and more to bring library access to thoughtful entertainment.
How can I watch Kanopy?
You can stream Kanopy on any of your favorite devices! Kanopy is accessible via mobile and tablet apps for iPhone and Android. You can also access Kanopy on your Desktop, and SmartTV apps like Roku, Apple TV, and Fire Stick.
How to create an account:
• To get started, visit kanopy.com and select the orange “Add Library Card” button on the lower left
• Enter your library card credentials
• Create an account using your preferred email
• Begin streaming!
TBPL Tip Sheets
Also Available: Kanopy Kids!
Kanopy Kids is a collection of movies and shows for kids. We offer unlimited plays in Kanopy Kids, so your kids are free to explore enriching, educational and entertaining films and TV series. You'll find Mo Willems shorts based on his popular books like Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, favourite friends like Franklin, Babar, and the Sesame Street gang, and lots more. Check out Kanopy Kids now!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access Kanopy for the first time?
- To access Kanopy, go to our website and click on the link.
- Click on “Don’t have an Account yet?” and then fill out the required fields including your email address.
- Go to your inbox and open the message from Kanopy to confirm your email address.
- You will be directed to a page where it will ask you to enter your library card and PIN.
Does Kanopy have an app?
Yes. A list of supported devices is available on their website (see the Mobile and TV Apps section)
Can I download Kanopy videos?
Not at this time. You must have an active internet connection. Using your phone’s data plan to stream videos on Kanopy is not recommended.
Is there a limit on the number of videos I can watch?
Yes. You can watch up to four films per month. At the top right-hand side of page in your logged in Kanopy account, you will see a “play credit tracker” that will alert you of how many play credits you have remaining. There is no limit on Kanopy Kids content.
How long do I have access to a film once I start it?
Once you start playing a film, you have access to it for 72 hours (three days). If you play it again after that time period, it will count as another of your monthly play credits.
Are there closed captions?
All films include closed captions. Transcripts are also available.
What if I have more questions?