Local History & Genealogy
Services | Programs | Collections/Indexes | Indigenous Genealogy | Other Resources
Out of Town Requests (Local History & Genealogy)
Out of town researchers may submit requests for information through email@example.com. Staff can provide facts, figures and short answers on local topics; and we will make every effort to reply to your request within one week of receiving it. We can accommodate up to 3 requests of no more than 6 items each (e.g 6 obituary scans). After assisting with 3 consecutive requests (up to 18 items) at no charge, you will be referred to a list of local professional researchers. Complex requests may be assessed at the discretion of staff. When possible, a pdf scan of the information will be emailed to you.
- If TBPL does not carry an item, we can try to borrow it from another lending institution in Canada
- You may request books, articles, archival and genealogical microfilm
- Make requests for books in person, by phone, or by filling out a form online (books, select audiovisual items, articles, microfilm)
- Microfilm requests should be made through the Brodie Resource Library
- There is no charge for this service
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for material to arrive
- There are 2 microfilm readers/scanners at the Brodie Resource Library
- Printing is available from both machines
- Saving to USB (in PDF format) is available on the these readers/scanners
Wi-Fi and Free Internet
- Computers are available with free internet access at all TBPL Community Hubs
- Wi-Fi is available with free access at all TBPL Community Hubs
Family History 1:1s
Looking for some help with your family history research?
Brodie Resource Library offers genealogical and local history resources to help you on your way!
We are offering 1-on-1 sessions for anyone who would like assistance getting started with local history research.
To set up an one hour session at Brodie Resource Library, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 345-8275 ext. 7260.
- Researching Aboriginal Ancestors in Ontario
- Anishinaabek Research
- Researching Your Aboriginal Ancestry at Library and Archives Canada
- Indigenous Heritage
- Indigeneous Genealogy (Library and Archives Canada)
- Métis (Library and Archives Canada)
- Records Relating to Aboriginal Peoples (Archives of Ontario)
- Archives of Ontario
- CanadaGenWeb Project
- CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project
- Canadian Military Memorials Database
- City of Thunder Bay Archives
- Founders Pioneer Village
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- Heritage properties in Thunder Bay
- Hot Rods and Jalopies - Photos, Stories & Memories
- Immigration Direct
- Library & Archives Canada - Genealogy and Family History
- Library & Archives Canada - Immigrants to Canada Before 1865 Database
- Naturalization Lists, 1915 - 1951 - Library and Archives Canada
- Ontario Genealogical Society - Thunder Bay Branch
- Ontario Heritage Toolkit offers a series of guides that explain different aspects the Ontario Heritage Act, the Planning Act, the Historic Places Initiative, and related programs.
- Ontario Historical Society
- The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Genealogy
- Thunder Bay Field Naturalists - Nature Northwest Newsletters
Services | Programs | Collections | Indigenous Genealogy | Other Resources