Borrowing and More!
Your Guide to the Library
Joining the Library
All residents of the City of Thunder Bay are entitled to a library card. To apply for a card, visit any library branch or apply online. You must show identification with your name and current address. Parents/guardians must sign the application form for children 17 and under.
If you don't live in the City, you may purchase a card:
- Family Membership (same address, no card limit) $60.00 per year
- *Individual Membership (one library card) $40.00 per year
- *Juvenile and Youth aged 18 and under - FULL YEAR - NO CHARGE!
- *Monthly Individual Membership $7.00
- *Senior Membership (60 years +) $25.00 per year
- *Two Seniors, Same Address $45.00 per year
- *Monthly Senior Membership $4.00 per month
*Card is non-transferable.
Lost or Stolen Library Cards
Report lost or stolen cards immediately by calling the 24-hour hotline at 684-6801 or by contacting your nearest branch.
Anything signed out on your card is your responsibility. Replacement library cards cost $3.00 for adults and $1.00 for juvenile cards.
You need to show your library card to sign out materials. You can use your card at any branch of the Thunder Bay Public Library. Borrowing is STOPPED when accumulated charges on your card amount to $ 7.50 (children) and $15.00 (adults) and over. The Thunder Bay Public Library does not accept responsibility for damage to any personal audio-visual equipment.
Library material may be returned at any branch. To avoid fines, return all material on time. When the library is closed, you may return your books through the overnight return book drops. Overnight audio visual return drops are available at all libraries. A 24-hour return drop is also available at County Park Branch Library.
3 weeks: Books, Audio Books, CDs, Language Learning CDs, Playaways
1 week: FastLane, Children's Videos, Children's CD-ROMs, DVDs and any 3-week item with a waiting list (holds)
3 days: All 1-week items with a waiting list (holds)
Ask about our special vacation loans.
Each adult/youth library card holder may borrow the following number of audio visual items.
- DVDs and Children's Videos: 15 adult items and 10 juvenile items
- CD-ROMs: 10 items
- CDs: 20 items
Children may borrow:
- DVDs and Videos: 10 juvenile items
- CD-ROMs: 5 juvenile items
- CDs: 20 items
Most items may be renewed twice if not overdue or on hold. You may renew two ways:
- Call our automated phone renewal line at 344-7138. (This service may sometimes be unavailable due to system maintenance.)
- Online here -- log in to My Library Card, click on "Checked Out Itmes" and then "Renew All" or "Renew Selected"
- You will need your library card number to renew by phone or on-line.
|Adult/Young Adult materials||Per day||Max|
|Children's materials||Per day||Max|
- Adult Replacement Cards - $3.00
- Juvenile Replacement Cards - $1.00
- Photocopies 15¢ each
- Printing from Internet 15¢ each
You will be notified of overdue items:
- When items are 10 days overdue.
- When items are 20 days overdue.
- When total charges exceed $ 7.50 (children's) or $15.00 (adults).
- When items are 50 days overdue. (replacement cost of item is included in this notice)
Please note that several notices may be sent depending on the number of due dates and monies owing.
You may choose to be notified of overdue items and holds by e-mail or phone. E-mail notices have an advantage over phone notices, as you are notified three days before the due date for three week loan items.
Library cards expire and may be renewed every three years. Please report any change of address, e-mail or telephone number as soon as possible. All charges on your library account must be cleared when renewing your library card.